A Network committed to Self Governance, Self Reliance and Self Esteem
Eastern India Dialogue forum focus on Self–Governance and community rights over natural resources and also a common platform which have five state members (Chattisgarh,Orisha, Jharkhand, Bengal and Bihar) try to spread and strengthen the Gram Sabha under PESA rule. Further extended to all over India with SAI in 2017.
A vision to establish a Self-governed, Self-reliant and Self-esteemed society with communitarian life style and social justice
Swashasan Abhiyan India strives for self-governed, self-reliant and self-respectful society for pursuit of deepening democracy through strengthening Gram Sabha based on gender justice and climate resilient development
ORIGIN AND CONTEXT
The Voluntary groups of Jharkhand, Bihar, Odisha, Chattisgarh and Bengal started a campaign for establishment of Indigenous Democracy (Indigenocracy) based on the foundation of Self Governance, Self Reliance and Self Esteem, through a substantial initiative that is known as – Swashasan Abhiyan.
Context of the campaign:
- Violation of PESA Act and improper implementation of PRI Act.
- Ineffective implementation of FRA act.
- Erosion of collective rights over land, forest and water.
- Degradation of Indigenous cultural heritage by external forces.
- Penetration of fundamentalist/communal forces in the society.
- Infiltration of Crony Corporate in the Adivasi (Mineral rich ) region.
OBJECTIVES : TRANSFORMING INDIAN POLITY
- Strengthening Local Self Governance & PESA/PRIs.
- Preserving the basic tenet of Fifth schedule as safeguarded by Indian constitution.
- Facilitate Community rights over Natural Resources/ Commons.
- Preserve Indigenous cultural heritage and ethos.
- Promoting Secular and Casteless politics .
- Promote Gender equality.
- Ensure 50 % Reservation of Women in Assembly, Parliament, Local Governance Bodies and Employment.
- Bring together the groups working on Tribal Issues from all 5th scheduled states .
- National level advocacy on PESA and its rules for proper implementation and value addition.
- Formation and promotion of National and State level Support Group on PESA (associating Media persons, Academia, Intellectuals, Policy Makers, Activists, Advocates etc)
- Exercise of PESA and FRA as a tool for strengthening Sustainable Livelihood and Communitarian Democracy.
- Adaptation of Climate Resilient Practices .
- National Consultation on PESA.
- Formation of National level Co-ordination Team. .
- Formation of state level units.
- Formation of Support Groups at National and International level.
- State level consultation on PESA in all 5th scheduled states.
- Preparation of Status Report on PESA in all 5th scheduled states.
- Capacity building of Community Leaders and various stakeholders on PESA , PRI and FRA.
- Initiated dialogue with Fisherman community of Chilka, Odisha and Ganga river in the sates of Bihar, Bengal and Jharkhand.
- Conducted Women Leadership Workshop at Sundargarh, Odisha.
- Conducted Tribal Youth Leadership Training at Sundargarh, Odisha and Sahebganj, Jharkhand .
National Consultation on two decades of pesa: the ground reality (in Delhi, 12-13 December, 2016)
- Linking and supporting peaceful struggles around the country.
- Influencing the Gram Sabha to implement most of the provisions of PESA.
- Developing a Federation of Gram Sabha at state/national level.
- Promoting Climate resilient sustainable development .
- Strengthening women leadership at state and national level .
National Consultation at Chilika on ‘Rights of Fisherman Community’ (29-30 September, 2016)
- Documentations of heritage and status of Chilika
- Preserving the traditional fishing rights over Chilika
- Protective measures for preserving biodiversity of the lake region
- Ensuring community rights of fisher-folks in the Ganga river basin (Bihar, Bengal and Jharkhand)
National level Women Leadership Training program at Sundargarh (3-4 July, 2016) , represented by five states Discussed Themes
- Strengthening the decision making power of women.
- Encouraging to have own bank account, ownership over land.
- Sensitization women on their health issues.
- Ensure participation in village meetings and become active in functioning of PR Institutions.
STATE LEVEL CONSULTATIONS
- Odisha (12-13 December 2017) .
- Chhattisgarh (11-12 February, 2018 ) .
- Jharkhand (5-6 March, 2018).
Major areas of discussions in the state meetings:
- Status of PESA in the state .
- Situation of Governor in the state .
- How to strengthen different sangathans working on PESA in the state . PESA and FRA related National Consultation in GPF, Delhi during 28Feb.- 1March 2019
- Gram Sabhas spread and strengthened to some extent under PESA Rules.